Back to: WordPress 101
What is WordPress? WordPress is web publishing software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. It just may be the easiest and most flexible blogging and website content management system (CMS) for beginners.
This free, 3-minute video provides a quick introduction to WordPress and demonstrates why it is the most popular web publishing platform today.
Covered in this video:
- What is WordPress?
- Why it’s much more than a blogging tool.
- The power of “Open Source.”
- How WordPress works.
- 5 reasons to choose WordPress.
What is WordPress?
Simply put, WordPress is web publishing software you can use to create your own website or blog. Since it was released in 2003, WordPress has become one of the most popular web publishing platforms. And today it powers more 35% of the entire web — everything from hobby blogs to some of the most popular websites online.
WordPress enables you to build and manage your own full-featured website using just your web browser—without having to learn how to code. In fact, if you’ve ever used a text editor like Microsoft Word, you’ll be right at home with the WordPress Editor.
So, how does WordPress work?
To get started with WordPress, first choose from one of the dozens of Managed WordPress hosting companies who pre-install the WordPress software for you. These hosts also maintain and monitor your WordPress site 24/7, so you can focus on creating content and reaching your audience. If you prefer, you can also download the WordPress software itself from WordPress.org, and then install it on your own webserver.
There are several reasons WordPress is a great choice for building your website:
- First of all, WordPress is released under an Open Source license — which means you can download and use the WordPress software anyway you like… for FREE. But it also means that hundreds of volunteers from all around the world are constantly working to improve the WordPress software.
- Second, WordPress is easy to learn and use — You don’t need to hire a web designer every time you want to make a small change to your website. Instead, you can easily update and create your own content… without having to learn how to code.
- Third, WordPress is completely customizable — There are thousands of themes and plugins that enable you to change the entire look of your website, or even add features like an online store, a photo gallery, or a mailing list.
- Next, if you run into problems, or you want to add custom features, it’s easy to find support or hire someone to help you. In addition to the WordPress tutorials on this site, there are also thousands of WordPress developers and designers who can help you. The official WordPress Forum is a great place to get answers to your questions. And every year, there are thousands of local WordPress events happening all over the world where you can meet and talk with other WordPress users.
- Last, you’re in control of your own content. Some other publishing platforms limit what you can and can’t do on your own website. And, you’re locked in to that service; if it should ever shut down, your content could simply disappear. With WordPress, you can import your data from other platforms like Blogger or Tumblr, and you can easily export your data to move away from WordPress, anytime you choose. You’re in control of your content.
Is WordPress right for you?
If you’re looking for an easy tool that will help you build your own blog or website without learning how to code, no other software makes it this easy. And, you’ll find that WordPress is incredibly flexible, with thousands of themes, plugins, and support options to ensure that your site will continue to grow with you in the future.
We trust this has been helpful, and we look forward to seeing what you build with WordPress!